Blogs > Nascar: Beyond the Track

Find out what's really going on in NASCAR. Look here to find out why your driver really lost his ride, or the real reason those two drivers can't stand each other. Learn about the hidden motives and reasons for the things that happen in NASCAR, from the drivers to the team owners.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Latest tirade shows Kurt Busch still unstable, deserves to lose his ride again

So much for Kurt Busch turning over a new leaf.
After his tirades on and off track led to his dismissal from Penske Racing last year, Kurt Busch promised to be nice this year. I don’t think that’s working out so well, as he has a little run-in with Ryan Newman after the race Saturday.

The incident came about when Busch did a burnout through Newman's pit box. This was on the heels of Busch wrecking and taking out Newman in the process. The little temper tantrum Busch threw (a common trend with him) angered Newman’s crew, and a confrontation ensued.
Busch was screaming obscenities on the radio for the last few laps (again, something he was supposed to have put in the past).

Newman was pretty harsh on Busch, rightfully so.
" It's easy to see and it's easy to say that Kurt blew a fuse again. I'm not sure why he did it and tried to run over our guys and NASCAR officials. And nobody is. I think the chemical imbalance speaks for itself. Kurt drilled me in pit lane and said that he was taking his helmet off and he didn't see where he was going, which I'm pretty sure there were 42 other guys that are taking their helmets off and doing whatever for the last 10 years and that's the first time that's happened to me. Circumstances I think are that he lied and was so frustrated that he doesn't know how to deal with his anger.
Asked whether he worried about what Kurt would do as a driver, Newman said: "Everybody has for the last 10 years. He's proven that. When you can't keep a job, it's pretty obvious."

My advice to James Finch, owner of the 51 team. Ditch Kurt Busch.

The man is unstable.

Sure he’s a decent driver, but dealing with a lunatic is never fun, even if the team has had some decent runs with Kurt.

If this nonsense keeps up, I wouldn’t be surprised if Kurt is out of a ride before the year is over. And I’m not sure who would be crazy enough to pick him up if that happens.

Lady in black not impressing Busch

The lady in black has long been hard on cars, and some drivers are expressing their frustration with the track and its lack of grip. One of those drivers is Kyle Busch.

Speaking about restarts at Darlington, Kyle Busch said:

"They're terrible now. The track doesn't have any grip -- we have big rear springs and we have no tire grip. All you do is spin the tires and I tried to give (Tony) Stewart a little bit of room because he was low on fuel pressure so I wouldn't run over him in case his car shut out. I gave him too much room and kind of hurt myself a little bit. Probably gave the 11 (Denny Hamlin) a spot. Glad I didn't give another one away to the 56 (Martin Truex Jr.), but we were able to come home fourth. I thought if the race would have went green without the last caution there that we probably would have ended up second."

Busch also weighed in on Hendrick Motorsports’ 200 Cup win milestone, to which he had a small contribution before moving on to Joe Gibbs Racing.

"It's definitely special. Congratulations to everyone at Hendrick Motorsports -- Rick (Hendrick) especially and Linda(Hendrick) and everybody who has worked so hard and been there so long through the thick and thin. Especially through some of the tragedies that have been over there. This one is a special one for them and I'm sure they'll celebrate. I was a part of a few, but at least I was a part of a few," Busch said.

Logano on the upswing in 2012

Joey Logano came into Cup with the nickname “sliced bread”, but he hasn’t exactly lived to it in his first few years.

So far in 2012, though, he’s doing pretty well, and rattling off solid-enough finishes to leave him in 15th in points and in contention to make the Chase. His cars are fast and he’s finishing stronger than he has in the past, so the potential is there for him to finally live up to the hype that has surrounded him since he was a teenager.

At Darlington, he said he is happy with his season, but isn’t done improving.

"We're still working. We've still got work to do. We took off good in the beginning of the year and we've lost a lot of speed

lately and then I'm glad I got some speed back in our race car here. It's exciting to have a fast car again -- that helped a lot."

McClure recovering from wreck
If you saw Eric McClure’s scary crash last week at Talladega, you no doubt wondered if he would race again after such a devastating hit.

The good news: He’s recovering and is on his way back. He spoke about his injuries and his plans to return to the sport this weekend.

"There was a lot of speculation about what the injuries were. The

largest thing we battled was the internal bruising, which is still quite painful, and the concussion. As far as getting back in

the race car, we're following the process that NASCAR has in place -- it's a very thorough process and a very good process. We're consulting with the doctors on that. Once they feel that I'm cleared to get back in the race car and that I'm ready to get back in the car, then I look forward to doing that. We're definitely preparing the best we can to do that as soon as possible."

McClure revealed that he has four daughters, all age 5 or younger, and that was perhaps the hardest part of the whole thing – how they reacted.

"I have four daughters and the oldest one is five. I was able to see them Saturday night and I'd be lying if I said it didn't affect our oldest daughter just a little bit. Fortunately, they didn't see the accident. They were at the track, but they did not see it live. I think there was a lot of unknowns in the interim right after that. Fortunately, my wife is a nurse so she's had experience with things like this, obviously not with us. I hate for them to go through anything like that, but I will keep most of it private, but there were times with the family when things died down at the hospital that made me understand how loved I was by them and made me very thankful that I had a family like that. This week, it's been good. Our three-year-old, she's tried to doctor me several times -- brought the little stethoscopes in and told me she was going to make my heart better and

try to rub the bruises away and things like that. It was really sweet and I think they are doing okay with it. I've really enjoyed our time together this week."


He said he never questioned whether to return to the sport, despite what he experienced.

" I love to race. Sometimes I question how good I am at it sometimes. Never had a doubt that I wanted to do it again. Obviously, when you're in a situation like that and things are happening fast and you've just been through something like that, you're a human being and thousands of things run through your head. As far as questioning my desire to do this, I

don't. I look forward to going through the process that NASCAR has laid out, getting the right clearance when it's time to come back and at this point, when they do that, I look forward to doing it and racing again and trying to get better."



Become a fan of the Facebook page NASCARBeyond

Follow Matt Myftiu on Twitter @MattMyftiu

5 Comments:

Anonymous mrclause said...

James Finch and his small crew work exceptionally hard to field a car each week and out of James pocket. They have a reputation they have built and for them to be dragged down to the level of Kurt Bush would be sad. I'd advise the team to simply let Kurt go before that happens. Kurt Bush is not worthy of the ride.

May 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How novel. Another Kurt Busch bashing member of the media.
Go read Lee Spencer's story for what really happened.

There are certain members of the media who won't be satisfied till Kurt Busch is run out of NASCAR.

Is he a train wreck? Yes. But it's not your place to decide who should be racing and who shouldn't.

May 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Report the story accurately man. Your bias is obvious. Kurt did a burnout through anothe out that happened to be Newmans. Both guys were hot over how both had spoiled good runs. So Kurt probably was hot enough to do the park thing into Newmans door. Bottom line Is that NASCAR needs more heat, more emotion. Cause this season so far has been boring. As for Kurt being a decent driver it's obvious youre not the NASCAR guru your bio makes you out to be.

May 14, 2012 at 5:51 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Matt, don't you think if Kurt had done anything wrong or endangered a member of the pits by acting stupid, a NASCAR official standing in either Kurt's pit or Ryan's pit would have had him blackflagged? Oh, no you don't think do you, you just see some crybaby like Ryan Newman whinning about Kurt and automatically say he's right. Well I'll trust the judgement of the Officials in the pits than a crybaby like Ryan.

May 15, 2012 at 7:19 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Matt, don't you think if Kurt had done anything wrong or endangered a member of the pits by acting stupid, a NASCAR official standing in either Kurt's pit or Ryan's pit would have had him blackflagged? Oh, no you don't think do you, you just see some crybaby like Ryan Newman whinning about Kurt and automatically say he's right. Well I'll trust the judgement of the Officials in the pits than a crybaby like Ryan.

May 15, 2012 at 7:23 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home