Blogs > Nascar: Beyond the Track

Find out what's really going on in NASCAR. Look here to find out why your driver really lost his ride, or the real reason those two drivers can't stand each other. Learn about the hidden motives and reasons for the things that happen in NASCAR, from the drivers to the team owners.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Old Bristol is back, and so is old Tony Stewart

Bristol calmed down for a few races, but now it’s back.

And Tony Stewart’s been relatively calm lately too, but not Saturday night after he felt Matt Kenseth took him out of the race.

In the future, Stewart said he won’t be so kind.

“We weren’t that great of a race car. But we were definitely faster than that after that restart. I checked-up twice to not run over him (Kenseth) and I learned my lesson there; I’m going to run over him every him every chance I’ve got from now ‘til the end of the year, every chance I’ve got.”

For good measure, Stewart got in a two-handed toss of his helmet at Kenseth’s car – nothing new for Bristol of course, it’s a place where tempers always flare. I highly doubt Stewart will run Kenseth over every week, but it will be fun to watch them race, especially with the Chase coming Up

Kenseth said he was confused by Tony’s anger, and had his own version of who was at fault.

“I’m a little confused. I was running the top leading and he got a run and he went into turn one like I wasn’t there and just went straight to the fence. If I wouldn’t have lifted, like he chose not to do the next corner, we would have wrecked, so I let him have it and I got a run back, drove all the way alongside of him and we just kept going,” Kenseth said. “I mean, I lifted down there or else we would have wrecked and he chose not to lift and wrecked us both, so I don’t know. He’s already had two in this series he’s pretty much taken us out of and I told him after Indy I was gonna race him the way he raced me and I did the exact same thing down there that he did down there – the exact same thing, except he didn’t give it to me. I guess he just wanted to do all the taking, so that’s where we ended up.”

Regarding Tony’s threat, Kenseth said:
“Yeah, that’s fine. Look, Tony is probably the greatest race car driver in the garage. I don’t really have anything bad to say about Tony. On the race track for years and years and years we’ve had tons of respect for each other and, for whatever reason this year, he ran me off the track at Sears Point and said he was sorry. It cost me seven spots in the finishing order and at Indy he was mad because he said I blocked him and I asked for five minutes of his time to clear the air and he wouldn’t give it to me and pretty much just got cussed out and knocked my whole side off and put us in position to get wrecked, so I just said, ‘OK, that’s fine. I’m just gonna race you the same way you race me,’ and he showed me how he was gonna race me down there, so I just did the same thing on the other end. So I don’t know. If you look at it we did the exact same thing, it’s just that he didn’t lift so I don’t really see where that’s 100 percent my fault or problem.”

Stay tuned to Atlanta and beyond on this one (though, like most NASCAR feuds, it might disappear overnight; time will tell)



Become a fan of the Facebook page NASCARBeyond

Follow Matt Myftiu on Twitter @MattMyftiu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home